We have started our fitness journey with 2 important steps, 1. nutrition and 2. exercise, this third step is probably the most over looked but important step, sleep. When we sleep our body repairs itself and ensures that it is working at its best. Sleep deprivation, even just an hour, can lead to weight gain. Getting in 7-9 hours of sleep a night is critical to brain and body function. When you sleep several hormones are released that help to make you feel satisfied when you eat, build the muscle that you tore down in the gym and help with overall well being and satisfaction in life.
So that is great news that to help lose weight all I need to do is get a little more sleep…but how do I go about that, you might be asking yourself. Here are some tips to help you get to bed and get the sleep your body needs.
- Power down all electronics at least an hour before bed. The blue light that your phone, tablet, computer, TV cast interferes with your ability to fall asleep.
- Try to always go to sleep and wake up around the same time regardless of the day. This will help with your internal clock and you will be able to go to sleep and wake up fairly easily.
- Regular exercise helps but try not to do anything to strenuous 3-4 hours before bed time as it can make it harder to fall asleep. However exercises such as yoga, meditation or strength and stretch (Thursdays at 8 at MB church) can help to get you ready for bed and make falling asleep easier.
- Don’t eat a big meal before bed time, give your body time to digest before you go to bed. If you need a snack, make it small and at least an hour before bed.
- Lower the lights several hours before bedtime to help with the bodies natural production of melatonin , sleep hormone
Sleep is an important part of our fitness journey don’t skimp on it!